Environmental Permits

Many of UConn’s construction activities are subject to one or more state or Federal environmental permitting requirements.  As a State entity, UConn is exempt from local permits obtained through town commissions such as an inland wetland commission.  Instead, the University obtains permits after review and approval by the CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (CT DEEP), and when applicable, the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers (USACE).  The USACE administers the federal permit program that regulates the discharge of dredged or fill material into waters of the United Sates, including wetlands. USACE permitting program includes both general permits and individual permits. Project size, resource impacts, and location will dictate which agency has jurisdiction and the type of permits required.  Coordination with other federal agencies including the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and, for projects in coastal areas, the National Marine Fisheries Service, may also be required. Project planners consult EHS Environmental Programs during a project’s planning or early design phases to determine which permits will be needed and to seek advice on how to budget and schedule projects appropriately to account for permit preparation and agency review times.

The following are common environmental permits for UConn construction projects; however, we evaluate each project for all applicable permitting and may seek or hold other permits beyond the ones listed below.