Quick Guide to Chemical Waste Disposal
EH&S picks up waste chemicals from individual laboratories several times each week. Call ext. 6-3613 to arrange a pickup. Please leave your name, phone number, building name, room number and a brief description of the waste to be picked up. Chemicals will not be picked up if the proper forms are not filled out.
How to dispose of chemical waste:
- ALL waste containers must be marked with the words, "Hazardous Waste".
- Each waste container must have a tight-fitting cap (no corks or wax sealers).
- The container must not leak.
- Incompatible chemicals must not be mixed.
- Remove or deface old or extraneous labels on the container.
- Commercial products must be accompanied by an MSDS.
- Completely fill out a Hazardous
Waste tag for each individual container.
- DO NOT place a date on this tag until EH&S has been called for a pickup.
- Complete all information requested.
- List all contents; percentages should add up to 100%.
- Use full chemical names (No formulas or abbreviations).
Hazardous Waste tags are supplied by EH&S
For your convenience, Laboratory Clean Out Forms can be used instead
of Hazardous Waste tags for extensive laboratory clean outs where
chemicals are in their original containers. Call ext. 6-3613
for these forms.
For further instructions on chemical waste disposal, such as hazard determination, unlabeled/unknown chemical disposal, segregation, see Appendix F of the UConn Chemical Hygiene Plan.
Any questions regarding hazardous waste can be directed to Denis Shannon, Chemical Health & Safety Specialist at ext. 6-3613.